Friday, April 15, 2011

All or Nothing

That's me! Either I am 100% onboard, rockin out 20 miles a week or I'm avoiding all physical activity and logging a big goose egg. I really need to figure out how to find a happy medium when life demands it.

But when things get crazy I tend to lose complete focus on myself, my nutrition, my training, and even my sleep. I'm not so good with balance.


I'm stressing out with the end of the semester coming up. There are lots of projects and papers due. I have to have my portfolio in tip-top shape for an inspection in two weeks. I'm getting ready to go out of town this weekend to support a friend of mine in the Boston Marathon. I'm super excited about it. But the timing is not ideal and I'm not sure how I'm gonna get everything done. Plus my Mom is driving down to stay with my kids and my dog while I'm away. I'm oh-so-grateful for this. But it does involve cleaning all the nooks and crannies. Much more so than if I were boarding the dog and dropping off the kids. And, oh yea....I haven't even filed my taxes yet!
On top of all that I'm dealing with some other issues that are demanding much more thought and energy than I can currently afford. And we might as well just mention that I'm sick with worry about my half marathon on May 7th.
I know everyone has their own struggles and worries. And mine likely pale in comparison to some. But that is why I haven't been around. I'm too busy stressing out about all these things that seem incredibly urgent each day. And neglecting things that I should be doing, even if they don't seem as urgent. I'm just not sure how to squeeze it all into 24 hours. Like I said, I need to work on balance.

But regardless of how these last two weeks have been, I am SO looking forward to Boston! I just know it will be an amazing experience to be right in the middle of such an incredible event. Plus a break from the craziness of my life will do me good. I hate leaving the kids. We always travel together. I homeschool them. We're pretty tight. I don't even remember the last time I was away from them for four whole days. But now that they are 13 and 14, I suppose I need to know what it feels like to actually have a little time for myself.

It will be a whirlwind of a trip. Here's a little breakdown of what it will look like:
I won't get into town until late Saturday night. Then I wake up bright and early Sunday to run the BAA 5k. Afterwards I'm going to a Team Brunch hosted by the American Liver Foundation with some friends. It will also be my first chance to check out the expo. Monday is the big day and I will be reporting bright and early to the water stop at mile marker 13.2 in Wellesey for my seven hour shift. At 3:00pm I will be frantically trying to get downtown to see my friend cross the finish line. That evening we'll be at the post race party at the House of Blues. Tuesday will be the only day I really have to do anything not race related. I had wanted to revisit the Boston Public Library to follow up on some leads I found there a few years ago about my family tree. But, realistically, I don't think I'll have enough time.

I promise to share all the details of my experience once I get home.

And sorry about the "Nothing" last week. I'm really shooting for "All" next week. And maybe someday I will learn how to balance the two.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the balancing act. I wish I were able to perfect that, too!

    Have a blast in Boston and rock that 5K!! How exciting that you're going to be a part of the Boston experience!! I'm envious! Getting away for a bit and recharging your batteries will be SO good for you, and your babies (teens and canine) will be fine!! :)

    And rather than "all" or "nothing".....just shoot for "some." You're already amazing - remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this sounds so exciting! So as I read this you've already finished the 5K and are probably pretty excited for tomorrow. I cannot wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, can't wait to hear how the 5K in Boston went. I was thinking of you that morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much girls! It was such a great time. I'm sorry it took so long for me to share it with you. I need to catch up with each of your blogs! I truly thought of each one of you during my "hiatus".

    ReplyDelete