Friday, February 11, 2011

Spinach Smoothies and Sprouted Grains

How gross does that sound? I mean, really....stuff like that is for Olympic athletes or Tibetan monks or something, right?

Turns out...this is my new favorite breakfast and/or late night snack!

Stay with me. Don't let me lose you guys. I mean, I'm a total foodie. I love to eat. And I love to eat good food. Anyone who knows me in real life knows I won't be happy with some cardboard-tasting, grass-grazing, plain-gray-chicken-breast kind of diet.

But I've been hearing all about how great these green drinks are good for you. I've been reading a little about Russell Simmons. I don't agree with him on many things, or idolize him or anything. But he is an incredibly successful entrepreneur and I find some of his principles intriguing. Anyway, he drinks some sort of green, smoothie-like drink every morning and swears by it.

So I looked at a bunch or recipes. I had to nix the ones that have milk or yogurt in them. I hate milk or yogurt in my smoothies. I just like the berry/fruit juice ones.

I found one I LOVE! Its so good. Here's the directions:

1. Plop a great big handful of fresh spinach in the blender (add this first so those leaves aren't just spinning around all haphazardly on top.)

2. Then add 1 cup of unsweetened frozen strawberries. (The ones I have are only 50 calories per cup.)

3. One small frozen banana. (Peel these before you freeze them. Yea, that should be obvious, right? But I had to chisel the peel off a few before I figured it out.)


4. Then add 1 cup of water or juice. I had this Diet Blueberry Pomegranate Ocean Spray stuff that worked great with it. Its only 5 calories and added great flavor. But it was good with just the water too.

5. Give it a whir and it turns into this:




I realize this looks gross. But it tastes sweet. You don't really taste the spinach. And its filling. Really. You should try it.

My 14 year old son even tried it. Well, he basically tried it because of the gross factor and for the bragging rights to tell his friends he drank a spinach smoothie - but he was surprised at how good it was. Now, whenever I make one I give him whatever is left in the blender.

The other thing I'm loving is Food for Life sprouted grain English muffins. I've had the Ezekiel 4:9 bread before. I like it, but don't love it. So my expectations weren't terribly high when I tried the English muffins. But they really hit the spot! I just need a half of one with some crunchy peanut butter and I am fueled for a good couple hours. You have to keep that sprouted grain stuff in your freezer. There are no preservatives so it goes bad rather quickly if you leave it out. You can usually find it in the freezer section of the store.

So, there you have it. I actually drink spinach smoothies and eat sprouted grains. And, you know what? I feel great! And I'm so full all the time that I don't think I could even eat a piece of cake if it were here. (And we have established how much I love cake, right?)

So let me know if you try the gross-looking green drink and how you like it. I'd love to know if anyone comes up with an even better fruit-veggie combo. I'm gonna try adding some cucumber next time.

11 comments:

  1. OK you are now officially the Bravest of them All because that green thing looks heinous. When I am able to add banana to my diet, I'm going for it though. But my son is like yours in terms of "trying it for the gross factor" which cracks me up.

    xoxoxo GP

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just a little too green. I do love the frozen strawberries and bananas though.

    Oh and I love to freeze my canned mandarin oranges too. Great snack!

    And frozen grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so how long did you stare at it before you took the first drink? I think that first drink would be the hardest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I love ya, but... that looks like something the cat hacked up...
    Kudos to you for trying it! I think that's a drink best consumed in the early morning when it is still very dark out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I am being daring Kelly I am going to try this. And for sure my kids are trying it on St Patrick's day. Hope I like it as much as you do! I need to get my scale moving for the BL Challenge.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I am drinking it now for desert and it's YUMMY!!! I didn't look at it I just drank with a straw, it's really good. I am going to add this into my breakfast rotation for sure! Thanks Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm deff going to have to try this recipe out!! Thanks for sharing!!!
    BTW you have a new follower! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GP - It does look gross, but looks can be decieving :)

    Jay - I've done the frozen grapes thing, but not the oranges. I'll have to try that!

    FF - Yes, that first drink was tough. Kind of like the first step before I go for a run. But I always feel better afterwards :)

    Amy - I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks for coming over here to comment. Did the kids try it out for St. Pat's Day?

    L - Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate you following me too. My followers always make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reid - Gee, thanks for that :) I don't have a cat, so that visual never would've crossed my mind had you not brought it up. Thankfully I've consumed enough of these by now that the color doesn't bother me like it used to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love green smoothies with blackberrys,blueberrys and raspberrys and a little orange juice for liqued and crushed ice.yummmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here is my recipe: Blend together 1 cup of water, 1/4 of a whole lemon including peel and seeds, 1 T. flaxseed oil, a small handful of kale/turnip green mix, and several large handfuls of spinach loosely packed up to the top of the blender. Blend extra well (turnip greens and kale need extra blending). Add 1 fuji apple and blend well. Add 1 banana, a handful of fresh strawberries and 1 kiwi. Blend until smooth and enjoy! :)

    This makes 4 cups, and I drink it all, but you can easily share this recipe with someone else or only make half. :)This is a really delicious recipe with a whole lot more greens in it and trust me, you cannot taste the greens (or I wouldn't drink it)

    ReplyDelete