Monday, February 22, 2010

Lessons Learned While Shoveling

Normally, I just hate shoveling.

I despise it really. Except for the first snowfall of the season. I never mind that one. Everything is pretty and white and it looks so peaceful. But after that its all downhill.

There really are many things to dislike about shoveling. I mean, it totally disrupts the day. If you have to be anywhere you need to get up extra early. There is the whole cold factor, which gets old. There are the times when you toss a big ole shovel of the light, fluffy stuff and the wind blows it right back in your face. And then there's the wet, heavy stuff that sticks to the shovel. Or the times when the piles at the end of the driveway get so big that there is nowhere to go with the snow and you have to walk your loaded shovel half a block just to empty the darn thing. I could go on...but you get the gist. I hate shoveling.

So imagine my surprise this morning when I found myself out in the driveway, shovel in hand, and still smiling. Maybe it was because we got significantly less snowfall than was forcasted? Or maybe it was because it wasn't bone-chilling, snot-freezing cold?

Turns out I just had a better attitude about it and figured it was a free workout. Yep, I actually embraced the task just because it gave me an extra 45 minutes of movement to log for the day. Its all a little crazy.

So here I am in my silly little state of bliss becoming one with the shovel and I hear my neighbor a few doors down shoveling his driveway. Soon after his wife comes out and they start arguing. The guy is clearly agitated and yells about how he always has to shovel and snowblow the freakin sidewalks and how his wife never has to.

Side rant: In my world, you are not allowed to bitch about snowblowing. You can gripe if the snowblower doesn't start, or if it breaks, or if you cut off an appendage or something with it. But if you have a fully functioning snowblower then, for the sake of all of us shovel-wielding wannabes, just quit your stinkin complaining!

K. Thanks for letting me get that out.

So anyway, the dialogue from across the way escalates and becomes peppered with all sorts of colorful language that is polluting my aforementioned state of bliss.

It got me thinking......I'm quite thankful for my singleness at this point in time. I mean, there are no expectations, and therefore, no disappointments or hard feelings. Things just are how they are. If I want the driveway cleared, I shovel it. If the clothes need washed, I do the laundry. If the toilet breaks, I grab a plunger.

Which got me thinking further how this is the absolute perfect time for me to be taking on this little self-imposed fitness challenge. It is kind of selfish after all. I mean, I am spending a ridiculous amount of time focusing on me......what I need to eat.....when I'm gonna exercise.....how I'm gonna find the extra time to blog about it all. Sure, I have the kids here and I need to take their needs into account, but that is a little different. When it comes right down to it, we just have a little dictatorship. I can really have my way all the time if I want. I would think a household with more than one adult in it would have to run more like a democracy. And....well....I'm gonna require a lot of "me time" over the next few months.

So while Mr. and Mrs. Happy will spend a good part of their morning arguing about something rather trivial, I can just shovel the stupid driveway and move on. I don't have to like it. But at least I can use all the hot water in the shower to ease my aching muscles when I'm done!

3 comments:

  1. See? Winter does have its reasons for existence! And all along you thought snow was a tool of the Devil!

    Life has been playing a tricky game with you up until now - but you're finding out it's secrets! Opportunities abound, you just have to approach them with the right eyes; receptive, accepting ones.

    And for those miserable heavy wet snows, delegating to the children is always acceptable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great attidute. Kepp it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reid - If you know all about these little secrets, why didn't you share earlier? Sheesh! :)

    Girlwolf - Thanks. I'm learning that my attitude towards difficult tasks can often make them much easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete